Revolver is a scripting module for Sitecore. It is designed to make developers and administrators lives easier and was developed using the experience collected by developing in Sitecore every day. There are 4 major principals which guide the development of Revolver. These are:
- To provide fast access to the content tree
- To allow scripting of common actions
- To fill in gaps of the current UI
- To provide a platform for custom tool development
What is Revolver good for?
So what is Revolver good for? Here's a few common scenarios Revolver can be used for.
- Script commonly performed actions.
- Query the content tree:
- Get a list of items which have been updated or created between a specific date and time range.
- List all items in the content section which have a specific field value.
- List and also unlock all items locked by a certain or all users.
- Perform a global search and replace for a given term using regular expressions.
- Perform bulk updates of content items:
- Update images in a rich text field for all items based on a certain data template to set a specific width and height.
- Update all references to a specific item in a specific field to a different item
- Allow comparison between 2 subtrees in the content tree.
- Allow reworking of templates and copying field data between fields of the same name (by using field ID instead).
- List the currently running jobs (index update, publish, etc) of the system.
I've recorded a demonstration video of how to use revolver. It shows the basic usage of common commands through to creating custom scripts.
Download the Revolver demo video. (11,337k)
Quick Start Guide
If you'd like to learn about how to use Revolver (beyond the demo video), have a look at the Revolver Quick Start Guide. This document covers how to use Revolver and is intended to get you up and running quickly.
Download the Revolver Quick Start Guide. (221k)
If you've read the quick start guide, and had a go, and can't work out how to do something with Revolver, you can send me an email at . You can send questions, suggestions, feature requests, anything related to Revolver.